Lesotho - Winter is Passing

Hints of spring & the end of training

Our last few days of Pre-Service Training have been spent preparing for our language exam & we are all a bit tense. Sesotho is an interesting language & now that I understand more about sentence structure, I find it really interesting to learn. The Peace Corps language curriculum is designed so that after 10 weeks of training we can live safely, shop for & manage our basic needs, introduce ourselves to our communities, begin our new jobs, & be safe traveling on our own.  

I actually do have plenty of time for reading after the sun goes down. Thank goodness for Kindle Paper White  & it's wonderful lighting system & long battery life. I have been enjoying the sci-fi novel Dune - a story of survival on the dry planet of Arrakis.  The shortage of water there is a perfect connect with Lesotho which is so dry at this time of year. I'm also super aware of the water I use. Though we have water via a spring & hand pump, I think about having to go collect the water from about 100 yards away, and so try to use it sparingly. Either the kids go fetch me water or I go with them as I can't tote the bucket by myself - though the 14 year old can lift the bucket I carry it back uphill on her head!

We are just on the brink of entering spring!  We are seeing some early signs such as a few peach trees beginning to bloom & last night there were several episodes of light rain. And, a little short shower just now started. I thought that I would see mud this morning but the ground is still so dry.  Folks here say some rain may start in late spring - Aug & Sept, but summer is more typical. I know it will become beautiful as all the golden brown hills green up & show off their peach blossoms &  wildflowers. BTW - August is known as the windy month and right on cue the winds have arrived. Everything seems to carry an even more generous dusting of Lesotho's fine red soil than usual. 

Nights are definitely warmer - in the 40's not 30's!  I have actually been able to avoid using the gas heater several evenings now. I can't risk running out of gas now that we are so close to leaving our current homes! I save the boiling of water for the evening to help warm up my little room. 

Little Muledi, barely 8 years old, just left. Now that my days are numbered since I move to my permanent site  next Thursday, I have been inviting each of the 6 kids living with my host "mother" to come in to my house one by one for their own special time. Depending on what I have they get sweet rooiboos tea with milk, something to eat, & their own private time to color or draw.  Mulefi got a bowl of lentil-barley stew with veggies, tea, & an orange. After one wedge of orange (after the stew & tea), he pushes the coloring book aside, rubbed his tummy & said he was full & had to go to bed. He looked so sleepy! It was after 7pm & he had had a busy day at school & play. He is my favorite and just loves hugs. When I hug him & pat his back - he pats me back. 

All but one of the six is a single or double orphan & they live with grandma, my host mother: 3 siblings (ages 14, 12, 8) / double orphans; Mulefi (age 8), a cousin, double orphan; another cousin (age 9) single orphan. All orphaned by AIDS related illnesses.  

The culture here does not shower kids with affection, but the kids here in my place love it. We do a big group hug each night along with hugs whenever the occasion just seems right. 

Here are some photos of our small group language class & a recent sunrise from my front door. And - more village scenes. 








No comments: