Letters from Seychellles - Island Paradise

September 1, 2016

Two weeks in Seychelles

Seychelles Photo Album

Since I was in the general vicinity & since the Seychelles have been famous for great SCUBA diving it was easy enough to catch a plane from Antananarivo, Madagascar to Mahe, Seychelles via Nairobi, Kenya.  It's about a 3 hour flight from Nairobi and there is not a thing in the Indian Ocean along the way, but flying into the Seychelles island cluster is a great experience. The Seychelles is made up of numerous very small mountainous islands with beautiful white beaches which are bounded on one side by clear turquoise water & coral reefs & on the other side by lush tropical forests cascading down steep mountains.

I had the chance to visit both coasts of the main island and the capital, Mahe. On the southeast coast I rented a comfy 2-bedroom AirBnB house just a couple short blocks from the beach. Judy, the owner, is super friendly & since she was doing some renovating on 2 other units on the property we got to visit every day & she gave me great insights into life as a Creole on Seychelles.  I also spent a week in a self-catering studio on the northwest coast where there were more dive options than on the west. 

Traveling Mahe is easy easy - there is a very convenient public bus service that is the only inexpensive thing on the island. You can get just about anywhere on the island for a dollar or less.

The dive operator, Big Blue, is wonderful. A very small center with super friendly staff & great service. Though it had been about 3 years since my last dive I was so thankful to find that diving came back to me easily. The dive-masters at Big Blue are great and really take the time to spot out the creatures & make sure everyone has a wonderful experience. Because there are many islands, most of the divers I met were island hopping & so with limited time to get to know each other, we packed our time with conversations about life & travel. Though I had planned to complete 10 dives over the course of the week I stopped after only 4 dives.  

The fish were great but the sad state of the coral was really depressing. The Seychelles have suffered terribly from several years of warm waters caused by El Nino; the result has been significant coral bleaching caused by the loss of normal algae, the coral then turns white & will die if cooler temperatures don’t return soon.  It appeared to me that over 90% of the coral was affected.  

Though I cut my diving short I did have the chance to see some of the beautiful sea creatures of the Indian Ocean: shoaling Bat Fish & Coronets, lots of Angel & Butterfly Fish varieties, Lion Fish, large numbers of schooling Jacks & Snappers, White-tipped reef sharks, Manta Ray, and turtles. 

But - I was able to find other distractions… well, if sitting on the beach reading, taking long beach walks, watching sunrises & sunsets count. There are also some challenging mountain hikes on the island; the one I tackled was a steep hike up Copolia for a great view of the east coast. 

Life is simple on Mahe but oh so expensive! I managed by cooking for myself and using the bus system to tour the island. There is not even one spot on Mahe's coast or central mountains that is not gorgeous.  The sand is soft & white & clean. The beaches are bordered by those lovely curving coconut palms & lush foliage. But - except for diving I am not so content with beach life & so I started looking at travels in Uganda; 2-weeks was a good enough stay in the Seychelles for me. 

Traveling without a specific plan or timeline allows me lots of flexibility. So far I make flights just point-to-point, one way between nations but I am careful to research visa requirements as they can vary dramatically by country. I don’t even have a travel book (the Lonely Planet Africa was just too huge to carry) so I rely on conversations with other travelers & Google searches. I had hoped to travel to Ethiopia this fall to meet up with Jodie whose NGO, Humani Villages, is under development.  Unfortunately, there are currently some political issues there that are yet to be resolved so that plan is on hold.  Jodie & I remain in contact & hopeful.
  
After talking with an Israeli on a dive, I am now considering Egypt, Israel, & Jordan. And, after a Facebook posting of a  friend-of-a-friend, I'm also considering the Azores!  And what the heck, I hardly know Europe so should think about that as well. So… if you have travel suggestions for me please send them along.  Thanks - Carole for the tips you have shared about the Middle East so far.


Next stop … the mountain gorillas of Bwindi National Park, Uganda!

Stephanie  
Sweet Seychelles 🌴🌴🐠



























No comments: